Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ricoh webcam on HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptops work with Linux!!

I have been trying to setup my Linux system to recognise my webcam for a long time now, but somehow, was never successful. And this one time when I was successful, I rejoiced and removed my Windows completely and installed Kubuntu alone to test if I can survive without Windows altogether.

However, after the re-installation, the webcam never did come up in Kubuntu again (after some very rigorous efforts). And I ended up installing Windows again only because of the webcam (I need the webcam. I talk to my family regularly from Skype.).

Then, I tried out LinuxMint 8, which is bloody awesome! Below is a screenshot of my Mint OS:


I know ! It does look awesome, doesn't it? ;)

Anyway, coming to the point. Well, I looked at a lot of forums and but could not get my webcam to work. And then, I found this website


I was able to download the Deb package for my webcam and installed XAWTV (sudo apt-get install xawtv) and voila! , it worked!!

Doesn't work with Cheese though (dunno why!!??). Anyway, here are my specs:

HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop

Webcam: Ricoh 1.3M Webcam

Specific model: dv6244eu

Installation Procedure:-

The procedure is simple:-


  1. Download the firmware first from here for x86 architechture or here for amd64 architechture.

  2. Next, download the modules here. For x86, click here, and for amd64, click here.

  3. Now, since it is a Deb package, your Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint should automatically recognise it. Install the firmware first and then install the module.

  4. To verify, use the command below to check if the module shows up fine in the lsmod.


oem@Abhi-laptop ~ $ lsmod |grep r5u
r5u870 24132 0
usbcam 41212 1 r5u870
oem@Abhi-laptop ~ $ ^C
oem@Abhi-laptop ~ $


  1. You should see the above two entries in your output. Once you have verified this, install XAWTV: 'sudo apt-get install xawtv'

  2. Once done, run XAWTV and you should see your webcam recognised. If it still doesn't work, try 'xawtv /dev/video0' and check.

If the above steps do not work, let me know here.

Thanks for reading and hth.





No comments: